Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Ford Focus ST, 1000 miles

One of my favorite car related websites to read was called Inside Line...well actually it still is one of my favorites, it's just that they're not Inside Line anymore.  Inside Line was a part of Edmunds.com, which now has absorbed Inside Line to become Edmunds' Long Term Road Tests.

What makes Inside...I mean Edmunds' Long Term Road Tests different from most car review sites is that they live with these cars.  It's not just a day of driving around town and maybe hitting a test facility to get some track numbers...they keep the cars for 20,000 miles.  They take road trips in them, go grocery shopping with them, take vacations, haul their family and friends around with them...they become the staffs daily drivers.  That in itself is different, because you get the opinions of a variety of drivers, not just one person.  Some are married, some women, some young, some are older, tall, short...in other words you'll get a wide range of opinions on a vehicle. If it's a sportier car, some of the staffers will take it to a track event...just like someone who buys one of those cars would.  The site is in blog format, with different staffers posting their thoughts on the time they spent with the cars...everything that they loved or that annoyed them. 

Part of why I own an ST is because Edmunds has a Focus ST in their fleet of Long Term Vehicles.  They've already put 10,000 miles on theirs...I just went over 1000.  I got mine as a low option car in part because of the issues (which were minor, but issues none the less) with the electronic add ones and some of the staffers comments on the Recaro bucket seats.  J.D. Powers vehicle dependability studies also said that although overall vehicle dependability has improved, the most reported problems are from added electronics. There was also almost a 5k difference in price between my car, an ST1 (only option a sunroof), and the fully optioned ST3 package.  I figure if I eventual want the bolstered racing seats I can pick up a set for less than that and I'm fine using my Tom-Tom for navigation.  It was just $100 dollars, has lifetime maps, and I put it in the car when I need it...which isn't that often.

The current fleet is very broad, ranging from a 1987 Buick Grand National to a 2013 Tesla Model S.  On the right of the page is also Past Long-Term Road Test vehicles.  It's entertaining reading and really informative. The vehicles are really scrutinized and put into just about every real life situation you would put the vehicle through over the course of ownership. 

So my thoughts on the Ford Focus ST so far...

Here's a shot of the gauge cluster with 1007 miles.  As you can see I'm also averaging 25.9 MPG on this tank (I reset the gauge every time I fill up).  It's mixed, highway/city driving, with most of it coming from going to work and back, none of which is highway. I also tend to do some spirited driving from time-to-time.  As many reviewers have said about the ST, it's a fun car to drive.

It's worth noting the size of the tank on this car, which is tiny.  I usually fill up at around a 1/4 tank and it takes barely over 10 gallons to fill from there.

As I mentioned before this is almost a no-option car and I do miss one option; something I've had in the last 3 vehicles I've owned...Climate Control.  In an age where power windows and anti-lock brakes are standard even in most econo-boxes, why can't every car have what is essentially a thermostat.  Just like in your house, you set a temperature, choose heat or cool, and forget about it.  If I figure out a way to add this to the Focus, I will.

Audi's have some of the nicest interiors.  Even my bottom of the model line A3 (in the U.S. anyway, the rest of the world also has the A1), the interior was very well done and leagues more refined than  it's cousin the GTI.  The Focus ST is still a Focus, and the interior isn't going to match the fit and finish of the A3.  See that two piece trim on the door of the ST...you won't see that in an A3's interior.

Still the interior of the ST is stylish and functional and considering a fully optioned ST was the same cost as my stripped down A3 was, then you realize why there's a cost difference.  I liked the way the A3 drove, but it doesn't put a smile on my face like the ST does.

Now the weather has turned a bit warmer around here, I've washed the car by hand a few times (with great shame, I will admit that the first several car washes was done at a local car wash, but my excuse is that the temperature didn't get above 40 degrees).  These wheels aren't easy to clean.
It's the area near the rim where the spokes "Y" that's tough to get into.  I used to own a Buick Regal GS that had rims with 9 holes around the edge and they were easy to clean because the holes were rounded off which made them easy to get into.  Note to wheel manufacturers, if you're going to design a wheel, no sharp angles.

Much of what the Edmunds' staff said about the utility of this car is why I own a hatch...this hatch in particular because it comes with a fun to drive factor that only a few hatches sold in the US have...pretty much only the Mazda Speed3 (didn't like the smiley grill), the GTI (the plaid interior is hideous) and it's cousin the A3 (no longer a hatch in the U.S.).  We didn't get the European Focus until this model year and we still don't get the European Astra VXR (made by Vauxhall).  I guess you can add the Subaru WRX to the list, but even a base WRX around here has a sticker around 27-28K, which is about what a fully optioned ST3 stickers at. 

So far, so good with the ST.  No problems to report and I'm only nit-picking as I love the car overall.  Eventually I'll have some fun and get this car on the local road course and make a few modifications, but for now, I'll just enjoy the car as a stock daily driver for the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment