Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Life Without Cable: 6 Months Later

I've been meaning to post about this for some time now...just haven't gotten around to it. It's been half a year since I said goodbye to cable TV.  Do I miss it?  I will admit there are times that I do, but I will also say it's not as much as I thought.  I must ESPN the most, but I've compensated by getting most of my sports news/highlights online.  I get links to news/highlights for my favorite teams via email subscriptions to their official websites.  Google news gets me the rest. 

As I said in my first post, Today I Cut the Chord and Began Life Without Cable, I still get ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox over the air.  Funny thing is that I barely watch any of them anymore.  Even if I am interested in a series I just go to the TV stations website and watch it from there.  For instance, I've been catching the episodes of Agents of Shield streamed from ABC.com.

When I feel like killing time by relaxing on the couch I just hit the Netflix button on the remote (yes my Smart TV remote has a Netflix button).  

14 weeks into the NFL season and I don't feel deprived. I subscribed to NFL Rewind, so have seen every Charger game this year for the first time in my life. Yes, I realize that NFL Rewind won't let you watch the games live...but how is that different from before?  If I had cable I would have only been able to watch the games broadcasted in my area anyway...now I get to watch every Charger game. 

We'll see how I feel when the NBA playoffs start and I won't be able to watch the games on TNT, etc. Still kicking around the idea of subscribing to NBA League Pass.  At $199 it's a little steep, but it's still less than the cost of cable over the course of the season...and I would be able to watch any game.  A 5 team package is offered, but at $139 it's not much cheaper than the full package. 

Still, 6 months after cutting the chord I'm glad I did it.

1 comment:

  1. More power to you. The wife would still love to do this. I'm not sold but I'm a flipper. I love being able to flip through channels and finding those obscure things I'd never watch. But sometimes I want specific things. Just not sure it will translate. I think I'm aways away from this happening in my house so I'm safe for now. That said, I enjoy seeing how those folks who have done it do it, and what they like and don't like. The NFL Rewind is a perfect example. As Yaj said, it isn't live but who cares. Unless you live in your teams TV market it is hit and miss if you get to see your team play at all. I think our kids are closer to I am at cutting the cable cord. They love Netflix and the Amazon streaming service. I think if I watched more TV series, I too would be more on board.

    ReplyDelete