Friday, July 12, 2013

Focus ST Update

Three+ months since I bought the ST and I still love driving it.  I was just busting some corners on the way home today and the car still brings a smile to my face.

Have I mentioned I love hatches...especially the category that's know as "hot hatches?"  These are the Swiss Army Knives of cars.  They may not do any one thing great, but they do everything well.  Just recently I went over to the local hardware store and brought back 20 pavers...with the Focus.  I should have taken a picture, but here's what the back looks like with the seats folded down.

Can you haul stuff in it like a truck or minivan?  Of course not, but I can haul more stuff than the average vehicle.  Awesome handling car (go read any Focus ST review out there), but you won't be outrunning a Lotus Elise on a road course.  It's quick (0-60 in just over 6 seconds), but you're not going to be winning any drag races against V-8 Mustangs.  Good gas mileage, but this isn't a hybrid. 

Swiss Army Knife.


Ford has something called "Intelligent Access" that is standard in most of their new vehicles.  What it means is that you can lock/unlock the doors without taking your keys out of your pocket.  See the little black pad on the door handle in the picture?  Touch the pad and the doors lock/unlock.

I thought it was silly and unnecessary when I first bought the car.  Now that I've had it for awhile I can't tell you how many times I've had my hands full and wanted to unlock or lock the car.  Didn't have to put stuff down, just had to touch the pad with the back of my hand or forearm.  I don't think it's silly anymore.

In case you're wondering, the key fob has to be close for it to work.  I stood about 4-5 feet away from the car and had someone try to open the door and couldn't.  I have to be standing right next to the car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment