Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hire GM...check!

As a fan the announcement tonight by the Chargers that they hired Tom Telesco as the GM wasn't that big a deal.  I'm sure internally it's more important than most of us fans think, but what most fans are waiting for is,  who will be the coach?

In his news conference after the introduction from the Chargers, there were two things that I found interesting, one from Telesco and the other from owner Dean Spanos.

Telesco said that he already had a list of candidates he would consider and that his list was very similar to what the Chargers management had.  I'm pretty sure that Telesco's list included Colts' offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, considering Telesco was the vice president of football operations for the Colts, but I'm wondering who else could be on that list.  The problem with Arians' is his health, considering Arians was hospitalized with an illness that caused him to miss the Colts-Ravens playoff game. I would think that would put a big question mark next to his name.

The other guy that I would have to believe is on Telesco's list is 49er Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman.  Roman was an Assistant Coach for the Panthers while Telesco worked there. 

Spanos peaked my interest by saying that request letters had been sent to other teams regarding coaching candidates, including teams in the playoffs.  Considering there's only 8 teams left, who are the Chargers sending these letters to?  One of the names that keep popping up in the rumor mill is Broncos' Offensive Coordinator Mike McCoy.  I can understand the interest, considering where the Broncos are at, but you have to wonder if McCoy would have been a consideration if Peyton Manning went somewhere else.  I don't see any of the other coordinators that I would want to be coach, but honestly I don't know much about most of them.

The first thing I thought when I saw Telesco was how young he was.  Just 40 years old, he's the youngest GM in Chargers' history.  The thing that impressed me about him was that he worked his way up, starting as a talent scout with the Bills and worked just about every job in between then and today.  If nothing else, he knows every aspect of a Pro Football organization.  I also liked that Telesco said that there were no parameters of on the (coaching) candidates.  My translation; he's open to a first time head coach, which I believe is a really good thing.

How all this translates to putting together a competitive football team is yet to be seen, but I like what I've read about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment