Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas

So what crazy person would start a blog on Christmas Eve?

I had started two other blogs in the past, the first was called "All I Learned About Life I Learned From Poker."  It was about how I could use a Poker analogy for just about any life situation I had run into over the course of my life.  Seriously, during the course of an all night Poker game you can learn everything you need to learn about life.  The problem is you won't realize it until much, much later.  I loved that Blog, but let it slip into internet oblivion. 

The second was called "One Fans View on Sports," which turned into "Two Fans Views on Sports" when a long time friend started to post articles on it.  Bulldog, who now hosts a blog called "Nothing If Not Random," was inadvertently a big influence on me starting this blog.  About a year ago I was in the middle of a divorce after 25 years of marriage.  I didn't feel like doing much of anything, let alone post on a Sports Blog.  I never felt that kind of pain in my gut before...it was worse than getting kicked in the nuts.  Maybe not as physically painful, but it was like it was eating at you from the inside out. Anyway I just deleted the blog as part of just purging everything.

Last week I got an early Christmas gift from Bulldog, a book titled "The Book of Basketball" by Bill Simmons.  I don't know how else to describe it except that he writes like a sports fan.  It's not how a sportscaster or author or an author-sportscaster would write a book...it's like a fan would write it and that's what makes it a great read.  In parts, he writes about his experiences/memories of historic moments in Basketball...what he was thinking/feeling at the time.  Immediately, I though, "Shit, I should have never deleted that blog."  That blog had posts in it that I had made while watching my favorite b-ball team, the Spurs win their 4th championship.  There were post about how I felt after watching LeBron James incredible performance in the double overtime Game 5 in Detroit.  Then posts after each victory of the Spurs sweep of the Cavs in the Finals.  I would have loved to go back and read what I wrote.  Almost every historic sporting event over the last seven years or so was posted about on that blog.  Every major event for my favorite sports teams was posted about on that blog...excited posts about the Kansas Jayhawks basketball team winning the National Championship in 2007.  Disheartened posts after the San Diego Chargers lost to the Patriots in the AFC Championship game earlier that same year.

Why, oh why, did I delete it (slaps forehead with palm of hand)!

1 comment: